My Guide Website?
Boston: Small Group Beacon Hill History Walking Tour5 Reviews
Join a Civil War walking tour in Boston and explore hidden landmarks in Beacon Hill, the city's luxury locale. Walk the Black Heritage Trail and hear 19th-century tales prior to the U.S. Civil War.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Boston:If youʻre booking your trip to Boston last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Avoid large crowds and congested sidewalks on this small-group tour
- Visit essential historic landmarks such as the African Meeting House
- Walk the Black Heritage Trail and see homes on the Underground Railroad
- Hear crucial overlooked stories behind the lead-up to the U.S. Civil War
DescriptionLearn about the tumultuous three decades that culminated in the American Civil War on this small-group walking tour. As you stroll the narrow lanes of Beacon Hill, you'll follow in the footsteps of 19th-century Bostonians, black and white, who grappled with an intractable conflict over racial slavery looming over their young nation. Start your walking tour on Boston Common, where the Black Heritage Trail originates. From there, you'll head right into historic Beacon Hill, where a free African-American community resided mere blocks from the wealthiest of Boston. Learn about the struggle for equality in education, debates over racial integration, and growth of anti-slavery political movements, while on the very doorstep of homes along the famed Underground Railroad. Your walking tour loop concludes in front of the Robert Gould Shaw and the 54th Massachusetts Regiment Memorial on Boston Common, just up Beacon Street from where the tour initially began.
IncludesBeacon Hill Neighborhood Small Groups (Max 16 guests) Black Heritage Trail (All Landmarks)
- This activity operates rain or shine; the tour is 100% outdoors
- The 2.5-hour tour involves approximately 2.0 miles of walking
- The walk covers relatively hilly terrain, with a few stairs on route
- Duration may vary; tour concludes within a maximum of 3 hours